[Bf-funboard] UI talk + session at bconf

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Sep 24 18:47:58 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM, david j <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Brecht Van Lommel <
> brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
>
>> Mostly we miss developers with time and designers who can really
>> analyze things more deeply. And organize them as a module owner team
>> who can make difficult decisions, because it's discouraging for
>> individual developers to make changes that generate endless
>> discussion.
>>

> I think this comment is a bit off the mark.
>
> IMO anyone who knows how to analyze UI issues will be deeply frustrated
> with the lack of coherent process for design decisions, lack of feedback
> and interest, and lack of UI design experience among the "stakeholders" he
> has to convince.
>
> I am still waiting for any comments or acceptance of my patch to just add
> *TOOLTIPS* to the spline handle set menu... let alone provide comments on
> my alternate deeper analysis of the spline-handle model -- and this area is
> *trivial* compared to bigger areas of blender.

I don't understand how what you are saying is different. My point was
that lack of user feedback isn't the problem, but rather that
developers are occupied with work on other areas and that there is no
UI module team to make decisions. I'm talking here about a lack of
people that have ownership and responsibility over the code. So as a
result, patches are not getting reviewed, decisions are not made, etc.

Brecht.