[Bf-funboard] UI talk + session at bconf

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Tue Sep 24 05:21:55 CEST 2013

I think this is an exhausting way to have a discussion. There are a lot
of good points here but they should have seperate threads, not a grab
bag of 'some thoughts, not thought through'.
Some of these are great, some are probably getting lost in the noise. My
comments below mark when I got too tired to read ;)
On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 12:33 +0200, Paweł Łyczkowski wrote:
> Some of my thoughts and ideas, not necessarily thought through:
>
>  >Where do the toolbar, redo/tool panel, scene statistics, job progress
> and warning messages, .. fit?
>
> I think the scene statistics, job progress and warning messages fit well
> at the top of the window, and that undo and redo should go there as
> well, as it is there in other applications. I like the way how Blender
> handles it's UI space by splitting it. It's unique, but that's ok. But
> there is no reason to be unique without a valid reason, and that's why I
> think some standards should apply, like the top bar with undo, redo and
> other global stuff.
>
> And, since Add is not a global command, but affects the 3d view, it
> should go in the 3d view bar.
A hundred times yes!!!!!! this has given some confusion to new users
with multiple 3d views and differing layer/cursor settings. i.e. "where
did my object go"

> Also, I don't think there is a valid reason for the top bar to be a
> window - I saw my students being easily confused by that. It should be a
> genuine bar.
It is a nifty place to tuck the python outputs, which most people don't
want to see.

> Speaking of standards - LMB to select, LMB + shift to add to selection,
> LMB + alt to remove from selection, and RMB for menu would be nice. But
> that's a bit off-topic.
You're going to provoke holy wars :)

>  >How can we communicate better which data is being edited in each editor?
>
> How about a big button on top of the toolbar in the texture paint mode,
> where you choose which texture you paint on?
> How about the image editor working a bit like a mini-app? So no
> automatic image opening when you click a face, or click an object etc,
> but you manually double click an image a texture uses, or press a button
> that's on the right side of it, and the image editor opens it, or you
> click Open from the image editor, and you open an image that is already
> loaded into Blender, or from disc?
>
> I also find that this "fake user", and not used data vanishing when
> closing Blender, is not very intuitive. More intuitive would be if the
> data, along with unlink (the X at the moment), would have a delete data
> option (with a "Are you sure?" confirmation).
I think if pop-ups are the answer, you're asking the wrong question ;)