[Bf-funboard] UI talk + session at bconf

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Sep 22 15:57:12 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I will be doing a UI talk + session at the Blender Conference. There
has been a lot of discussion about this topic, people proposing ideas
and making mockups, so it seemed like a good idea to do something
related to that.

The plan is to do two things. First I'll talk about the current
Blender UI design. There's a wiki page about that here, trying to look
at the big picture, hidden trade-offs and issues that aren't discussed
as much. It may be interesting in general for people who like to think
about Blender UI design and make mockups:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Brecht/UI

After that we can do an open session to connect developers and
designers interested in working on the UI. I think we'll try to do
this on friday, so that further discussion can happen during the next
days of the conference too.

One thing I would love to see from designers is a mockup or sketch of
what the full Blender UI should look like, addressing some of the
questions raised in the page linked above. It doesn't have to look
great, but it's interesting to see where everything fits, what is
removed, what is added, etc. Such mockups can be presented or
discussed in the session.

Thanks,
Brecht.