[Bf-funboard] Critical improvements and features

Jonathan Williamson jonathan at cgcookie.com
Fri Sep 20 16:01:32 CEST 2013

> > > Good outliner is one of the core features used in managing complex
> scenes
> > > and hierarchies and reason for most complaints.
> >
> > I don't see any need for the 'blender-ism' style pre selection - it's
> just
> > confusing. Behaviour should be identical as in any other 3d program:
> >

> So far I agree with you on this one. Though I'd love to hear an explanation
> of the blender-ism split-selection benefits from someone in-the-know.
>
> Some reasons I can imagine for the split-selection are:
> - ? the outliner displays items which are not in the 3d-viewport, so they
> can't be "3d selected"
> - ? the outliner can be used for non-3d-viewport tasks, such as in the VSE
>
> Am I getting warmer? I'm just guessing, as split-selection merely confuses
> me in both outliner and dopesheet.

I use the Outliner every day and I still have no idea what the
pre-selection is actually used for. I just find it frustrating because I go
to click a bunch of things and it only highlights them. Part of the reason
I find it confusing is the behavior is different depending on where you
click.

If you click on the object name, it select it in the viewport. If you click
in the empty space to the right of the name, it pre-selects it. But, if you
box select anywhere then it pre-selects.

I've never found a case where the pre-select was useful in this case. Does
anyone else use it?

Jonathan Williamson
http://cgcookie.com