[Bf-funboard] Duplicate keyboard shortcut removing

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Wed Oct 9 18:21:36 CEST 2013

"reiner.prokein" <reiner.prokein at posteo.de> wrote:

> Yes, this tool doesn`t indicate if it works at all. Just close at click.
> This one needs at least a string nessage somewhere. Like no conflicts
> found or something like that.

It works. Run Blender from a terminal window (or, if you're in Windows go to
Windows > Toggle Console Window from from within Blender). The (lengthy) output
all prints there.

And, in general, genuine conflicts are difficult to detect because Blender
supports hotkeys in different contexts. For example, F in Sculpt mode is
different than F in Edit mode, so there's not really a conflict there.
However, if you're assigning F to an arbitrary operator that doesn't poll
based on mode and you want to use it in Edit Mode or Sculpt mode, a check for
conflicts is going to get you - at best - a bunch of potentially false
positives, and at worst it could not be able tell you there's a conflict when
there really is one. This is further exacerbated by the fact that Blender
supports hotkey sequences (e.g. G > G in Edit mode on a mesh object).

Since I don't think it would be wise (or possible) to require that all
operators poll the same or to remove the ability to do sequences of hotkeys,
this issue is going to persist. It's a deceptively difficult problem to solve.

  -Jason