[Bf-funboard] little improvement: align view3d.localview to object's local axis

Julian Herzog julian.hzg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 14:00:13 CET 2013

Hi,

I wished I had such functionality many times in the past, as working on
parts of a larger system (e.g. a car/aircraft/spaceship) that is already
positioned in the scene is very hard even if all objects are still having
their original rotation and are just parented to a positioning empty (or in
a similar setup). Tools like spin, box-select or surface snapping (retopo)
rely on precise alignment of the current view and while there are tools to
achieve alignment of the current view to, for example, a certain face,
quickly aligning the view to local object axes is quite cumbersome (unless
I am missing existing functionality).

So I fully support the proposal. Of the possible implementations, I think
the third one (align view axis rotation to last selected object's axis
rotation) is most helpful to easily and quickly work on a single object in
its own local axes. The last one (add axis selection to view properties
panel), although in my opinion not suitable to generate a fast workflow,
would definitely be helpful for more complex and rare problems of custom
view alignment.

-Julian