[Bf-funboard] Suggested list of precision modeling tools

Raindrops From Sky raindrops.fromsky at gmail.com
Sat May 11 17:04:11 CEST 2013

Here is a list of precision modeling tools.

1. Draw a line that passes through a point in 3D space, and constrain it to
be parallel to another line in 3D space.
2. Draw a line that passes through a point in 3D space, and constrain it to
be parallel to a plane in 3D space.
3. Draw a line that passes through a point in 3D space, and ends on any
point that is on plane in 3D space.
4. Draw a line that passes through a point in 3D space, and constrain it to
be perpendicular to a line.
5. Draw a line that passes through a point in 3D space, and constrain it to
be perpendicular to a plane.
6. Extend a line till it “locks” on another point in 3D space.
    (i.e., when its end-point has one or two coordinates common with the
reference point).
7. Extend a line beyond its end-point by x units.
8. Extend two lines till they meet (to form a V joint).
9. Shorten a line by moving its end-point by x units.
10. If we are given a face, extend a plane from it.
11. Draw an arc that passes from three given points in 3D space.
12. Draw an arc that passes through two points and with a given diameter.

I don't know if Blender would allow some of these features, because they
are based on SketchUp and SweetHome 3D) where the design philosophy is
quite different (since they do not have distinct Object and Edit modes; so
they are able to make use of vertices and edges from any object in the
scene; which is not the case in Blender.).

There are some other features worth emulating also:

1.  When we move the mouse in SketchUp, it continuously looks for
inferences to surrounding vertices/edges/planes/objects. When the mouse
finds an alignment, it is displayed instantly with two different methods:

    (a) A dot with different shapes+colors appears at the mouse pointer
when it reaches specific points.
          For example-
          * it will display a green circle for end-points or mid-points on
a edge,
          * It will display a red square for any other point on an edge;
and
          * It will display an indigo diamond for point on face.

          Without such facility, we have to build a lot of temporary
geometry to achieve the same result.

     (b) When the mouse pointer sligns with any vertex in the scene, a
dotted line of appropriate color (Red/Green/Blue)
           appears between the pointer to that vertex. This inference helps
build planes, rectangles and boxes.

2. In the perspective view, the pointer carries a set of three
red/green/blue dotted lines (to represent the x, y and z axes).
          This gives a better idea of the pointer's true position in 3D
space.

3. A PENCIl TOOL that is able to draw lines in 3D space using geometry from
all objects in the scene.
    Currently the knife tool has this functionality, but within a given
object. This is a major limitation.
    Another limitation is it can divide an existing geometry, but cannot
create new geometry in space.

All these mechanisms will allow us to speed model mechanical objects with
precision.

It would be great to have such features for mechanical shapes
(engineering/archviz projects).

Could be included in GSOC 2013.

*If any of the items are not clear, I can send a simulation/video to
explain.

*
*Regards,
Narayan