[Bf-funboard] Physical Memory and Cycles

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri May 10 06:39:18 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 6:33 am, L. S. wrote:
> Hi, I think there are a few things that you aren't quite understanding. A
> lot of high
> ratings on Microsoft's index won't guarantee that everything works super
> fast in
> Blender. One bottleneck can bring everything down to a crawl. I think that
> in most
> cases the RAM on your computer will not be the bottleneck.
> Having a lot of RAM can be helpful, but suppose you have 4GB of RAM on
> your
> computer, and your .blend only uses up 1GB of space. More RAM will not
> help or
> "mean more processes," because there is nothing else to be stored. So far
> as I know,
> there is no way that you "incorporate" system RAM with a graphics card, so
> more
> RAM will not help that either.
> I don't know enough about programming to say what makes it difficult to
> support
> other cards (like AMD), only that there is a bug in the AMD driver which
> prevents
> Cycles from using AMD cards correctly.

The issue is that AMD have purposefully crippled the OpenCL drivers by
inlining all the compiled kernel code which requires excessive amounts of
physical memory and takes a very long time to compile.

They say they are working on a fix but they truth is they have known
exactly what they were doing from the start. They simply don't want openCL
to be complete as it would make a big impact for other open source
projects which do not pay them kickbacks (M$) and compete with the
proprietary projects their mates are being sponsored to build with AMD's
ever dwindling cash supply.

It's a game that has been played for a while. In this case the Blender
devs have caught them with their hand in the coookie jar so now they have
egg on their face and might be forced to do something about it.

Don't expect it to happen quickly though as AMD are completely beholden to
M$, APPLE, and the US Military (via the Carlyle Group who are major
shareholders in Mubadala which is the parent company of AMD).

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd