[Bf-funboard] Physical Memory and Cycles

Nkansah Rexford nkansahrexford at gmail.com
Thu May 9 17:12:41 CEST 2013

@Knapp. For me, yes, have researched everywhere for speeding cycles. But
the issue from Ryan has to do with, Can RAM supplement GPU for rendering if
one doesn't have nvidia for cycles?

It isn't possible now, but can it be done?

I believe if its possible and done, it can go a long way to close the gab
between cycles and people like myself.

AMD and Intel i guess aren't making any plans of supporting Blender soon (I
stand to be corrected though)

rex

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Ryan Duncan <lun3rcry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My problem though is the fact that trying to get a good looking render
> > requires at least 500 samples and this is frustratingly slow, anything
> > lower looks really bad and grainy.
> >
> > Ryan
>
> Have you searched the web for tips on speeding up Cycles? There are a
> lot of them out there.
>
> Try this. Click on render (the little camera) and find light paths.
> Set Transparency to max 0 min 0; Bonce to max 0 min 0, diffuse 0,
> glossy 0 and transmission 0.
>
> Do a render. Is it fast enough? Sure it rather sucks at these setting
> up now try setting them to something like 3. That should be good
> enough unless you are working with glass or something like that. Save
> the 0 settings by clicking light paths + and call it super fast. I use
> this setting all the time when editing in cycles.
>
> Best,
>
> PS laptops are not fast, they are power light because they must run on
> a battery, "gaming systems". Desktops are the fastest and always will
> be.
>

> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Creative Commons Film Group, Helping people make open source movies
> with open source software!
> http://douglas.bespin.org/CommonsFilmGroup/phpBB3/index.php
>
> Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
> http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm
> Please link to me and trade links with me!
>
> Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.
> http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page
> http://code.google.com/p/perspectiveproject/

+Rexford <https://plus.google.com/107174506890941499078> | +Blender