[Bf-funboard] Physical Memory and Cycles

Ryan Duncan lun3rcry at gmail.com
Wed May 8 18:06:51 CEST 2013

My problem though is the fact that trying to get a good looking render
requires at least 500 samples and this is frustratingly slow, anything
lower looks really bad and grainy.

Ryan

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Ryan Duncan <lun3rcry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My computer has an i7 Q720 chip at 1.60GHZ and is a notebook made
> > especially for gaming and CPU intensive processes, so how can cycles
> still
> > be so slow when rendering glass, I had a far inferior Acer in 2008 which
> > could render faster using the old 3DSmax6 with MentalRay.  Cycles is
> > supposed to be fast.
>
> Not sure where you read Cycles is supposed to be as fast as mental
> ray, we still have to work on improving performance more. I guess
> mainly the GPU rendering might be considered fast. But it's also a
> matter of tweaking settings to get comparable rendering effects and
> materials.
>
> The Q 720 is also on the low end of performance:
> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
>
> Brecht.

They say the extractor can be.. a little disconcerting to the thought
process..I'd uh.. offer you a couple of Aspirin but snigger, I'm not
authorised to prescribe medication hah hah hah! Think good thoughts!