[Bf-funboard] Proposition for Blender 2.7/2.8: Text Engine

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 27 22:04:06 CEST 2013

Regarding issue with kanas in file names, this should be supported as
soon as you enable the i18n stuff, else it should be reported as a bug
(with details like OS, versions, etc.).

As for entering text itself, it’s handled by our GHOST piece of code,
which is indeed OS-dependent. Afaik, it supports some basics for complex
scripts input (I saw some commits regarding this topic in the past, at
least), but I have not good knowledge of this area. Please note that we
have two different elements at play in text editing:
* The input itself, i.e. producing unicode chars from whatever input
method is needed.
* And the "editing", i.e. navigating inside existing unicode string,
selecting part of it, inserting or deleting chars, etc.

While the first part has to be OS-dependent and is not directly related
to the proposed text engine, the other one is OS-agnostic code tightly
related to that text engine.