[Bf-funboard] Proposition for Blender 2.7/2.8: Text Engine

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 26 17:20:04 CEST 2013

Hi girls and guys,

Currently our text handling in UI is very basic, it works well for basic
languages like “european” ones, but not for complex ones (arabic and
other RTL, Indic familly, etc.). As we support more and more real i18n,
it becomes very annoying for users willing to translate or type in there
native language (chars are not drawn in the good order, cursor
navigation and text selection is wrong, etc.).

So I took some hours in the past two days to setup a first draft of a
proposition to get a real text engine inside Blender, available here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mont29/Text_Engine_Reflections .

Feedback is obviously most welcomed! :D

Kind regards,
Bastien.