[Bf-funboard] Toolbar mockups

Vincent Akkermans vincent at ack-err.net
Tue Jul 23 14:56:43 CEST 2013

On Tuesday, 23 July 2013 at 09:40, Paweł Łyczkowski wrote:
> On 23-07-2013 01:12, Vincent Akkermans wrote:
> > Also, if there are any operators that you use often and aren't in the toolbar (you use them through the search menu for example) please let me know if you'd like to see them appear in the toolbar.
>

> Yup, in object mode that would be (as icons):
> - set pivot point with one click, rather than a menu
>

> - go to certain view, with one click and an icon with an arrow, so
> people can find the view they want quickly

My inclination for both is that they should be something either on the viewport itself or on the 3D view's header. That would be where you interact with the content, make your selections, and then operator on it through the toolbar. I remember there was a thread about this on ba: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?294357-Can-we-have-something-like-this-%28navigation%29

These ones? http://www.pasteall.org/pic/56171

> And less important:
>
> - set origin (divided into it's sub-commands)
> - set cursor (divided into it's sub-commands)
>

> I did some of those on my own here - http://db.tt/ppkl2ev8 (there are
> also mode switching buttons there, like you did, but they never worked
> for me. Maybe they are too far, and would work better at the bottom on
> the 3d view)
>
> In edit mode that would be (also as icons if possible):
> - loop to region
> - region to loop
> - bridge
>
> And less important:
>
> - set origin (divided into it's sub-commands)
> - set cursor (divided into it's sub-commands)
>
> As for your mockup - try to avoid big red strikethrough lines and
> minuses - color red gives the impression that something is wrong, and
> the program gives an error or a warning.

That's a very good point. I due time I'd like for somebody to make a good set of icons.

> I like your big icons in the edit mode, under topology. IMO do more of
> that, optimally whole sections. With good descriptive icons, because now
> the extrude icons are not really readable.

I agree on the icons, new ones should be designed at some point. I'll try to see what I can do about using more icons.

> As for the texture paint mode, I always have a jumble there. There is a
> lot of panels, and I'm always too lazy to sort them (this is generally a
> problem). If you could make a main section that would combine the Brush,
> Curve and Project Paint sections in a clean, compact way, that would
> sort things out.

I'll have a go at this later this week!

> Also, for symmetrical modeling and game art, commands I often use, that
> I added myself, are mirror along X-axis (which is the axis that you most
> often have symmetry on), that makes a symmetrical duplicate of selection
> and mirrors it, and snap to X-axis, which sets all the selected vertices
> x coordinate to 0. That would be nice to add.

Would you have a bit of code for me to look at?

> Another one of mine is "unify shading" which I use a lot, that sets
> smooth shading on the whole geometry and flips normals to outside.
> Normally it's a couple of clicks you have to do, it combines it to one
> click, and I use it all the time.

This seems like a simple and useful addition.

Vincent