[Bf-funboard] Toolbar mockups

Vincent Akkermans vincent at ack-err.net
Fri Jul 19 15:31:24 CEST 2013

On Friday, 19 July 2013 at 13:28, fabio.massaioli at virgilio.it wrote:
> I usually keep the toolbar hidden and use it only when I don't remember shortcuts.

Would showing the shortcuts help? I'm thinking that this would allow a user to open the toolbar with T, look at the shortcut, close the panel again, use the operator, and all this from the keyboard.
> When I have to open it (sculpt mode, texture paint mode, etc.) I keep it as narrow as I can to save space for the main viewport. I think it would be better to avoid using more horizontal space, scrolling the toolbar is not a problem because that's rarely needed.

Perhaps the key is to subdivide panels with many buttons into separate panels. Only the Mesh Tools panel is really quite bulky, the rest seems manageable. On the other hand some panels are really quite small and could be incorporated into others.
> Panel popups are definitely a good idea, but people should be free to choose if they want one or more panels open together.

I was wondering whether forcing a single panel would be too rigorous, so I would agree with you on this point. The changes would then come down to 1) panel popups, 2) shortcuts on single column buttons, 3) panels with many buttons would become two separate panels, 4) superfluous panels would be incorporated into others, 5) accessible operator defaults.

The shortcuts could disappear as the buttons become smaller and there is no space for them.
> I also agree on textual descriptions, icons would be harder to remember.
>
> A nice improvement would be to highlight the last used command group (e.g.: when I use the UV unwrapping operator the unwrapping buttons get a subtle red shade).
This is an interesting idea. Is your reasoning behind this that it would attract your eyes to the location of buttons that are appropriate for the current activity?
> USEFUL addons that add USELESS panels to the toolbar are another problem that could be fixed, but I don't know if this applies to your GSOC job.

Perhaps providing a clear guideline could help. Could we make a list of addons that suffer from this condition?

Vincent