[Bf-funboard] property panel "switch" section toggles.. thoughts?

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 16:34:29 CEST 2013

On Jul 15, 2013 6:32 AM, "Bol Bib" <bollebib at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I still think checkboxes might be easier;with less distraction.
>
> On the other hand I do agree to put them on the right,to align those
checkboxes there.

Checkboxes are expected to come before some text that describes their
purpose... So putting them on the right doesn't feel right without giving
them a title like "enabled" -- which makes the header pretty clunky.

I'm *not* sure the on/off switch is "good" (which is why I'm soliciting
feedback), but IMO it works better than check-boxes on the right.

Alternatively... aligning the check boxes and titles on the left works if
triangles are removed.. But some folks really like the triangles, and I
understand why. They are a very "standard" metaphor for property panels.
Pretty much everything uses them, from 3d apps, to NLEs, to coding IDEs.

I like the blender's UI panels are designed to be very "dense", and putting
the enable by the title is the most effective place. It's just a tricky UI
challenge to get them to align, be easier to scan, and look nice.