[Bf-funboard] Toggling proportional edit during transform

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 02:01:22 CEST 2013

David,

> make the UI conceptually similar to the "snap" tools. There would be a
> separate toggle button for enable/disable, and then a single "dual state"
> button for falloff and influence which opens a single menu containing two
> checkbox sections, one for falloff-type one for influence.

The only way your idea differs from mine is that you have a
discrete "on" and and "off".  I am just moving the "off" onto
the other menu and assuming that selecting any falloff type
implies turning it on.

Yours basically has three sections on two menus.  I have
just two sections on only one menu.

Another advantage of mine is how it looks in the "off" state.
With the current design (and your change) you wouldn't want
to show the selected falloff type while proportional editing
is turned off. So when off you are only showing that disabled
circle.

With mine I am showing the falloff options so I get to show
the "off" icon instead.

> This avoids digging into two menus, without adding the confusion of
> turning the menu into a triple-state menu also containing enable/disable.

Aside from the header widgets, I've also disliked that proportional editing
takes up two menu on the "mesh" menu (it isn't even on the object mode
"object" menu). On those menus, with the default startup, the falloff option
menu is *above* the menu that enables the thing.

I wouldn't be surprised that it is not on the "object" menu simply because
they didn't want to add a "proportional editing" menu with nothing but
"enable"
and "disable" on it.  On those menus it would also be nice to have them
on one two-section submenu.

Harley