[Bf-funboard] Toggling proportional edit during transform

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruth at ivimey.org
Sat Jul 13 21:12:46 CEST 2013

David Jeske wrote:
> This could use a rethink. Clearly "connected" and "projected" are both
> enabled, so enabled is an improper term to use here. It was also brought up
> that it can be more convenient for the "o" hotkey to merely turn on or off
> the configured proportional editing mode.
>
> I think this would be better organized as... (With better terms possibly)..
>
> Proportional editing
> State (enabled/disabled)
> Influence (proximity, connected, projected)
> Falloff (smooth, linear, ... )

I agree with David about the terminology, and about wanting
enable/disable separate from influence selection.

One related thing I keep wanting is a distortion action that obeys
"natural" behaviour - call is physics if you like. So if I grab a pipe
at a mid-point it bends there and the two ends get closer (if not
otherwise constrained)... that sort of thing. Or if I take a flat plane
and grab a side and "pull", it distorts the whole of the plane into a
parabola. I know some of the prop-edit tools can achieve something like
this, but my experience so far is that they are too difficult to use
because they don't have an intuitive meaning.

A real-live instance of this: I had a model of a long brick railway
platform which I needed to be more curved. My intuition was to pull the
end of it further round, which would adjust all the intervening nodes
while retaining the relative position of them, but this doesn't work at
all well with prop-edit - AFAIK. In the end I adjusted each point
individually...

Do you understand? agree?

Ruth

--