[Bf-funboard] Menu Layout Details

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 17:54:09 CEST 2013

Hello,

I was looking at the menus trying to figure out why they look a bit...
clunky to me. The layout of them is a bit awkward and it actually
hurts their readability.

If you look at the following image you will see that some very small
changes can make them look a lot more polished and easier to use:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=55157

In the above image I've made no changes to the sizes of the text or
icons, nor have altered any vertical spacing.

The icons are currently scrunched against the left side which harms
recognition - they really need breathing room.  And you need a certain
distance between the icons and the text to make them separate columns
in a way (so you don't visually connect them as if the icon is some strange
letter, if you know what I mean) but not so far away that they become
disconnected.

We have separation lines, but they are so faint as to be almost useless.
Here I have made them a bit easier to see. I have also made them have
a right padding so they don't completely bisect the area to the edge. And
the they don't disrupt the column of icons.

I'm hoping that you look at the image and see what I do, that the right
side is much easier to understand quickly.

Any comments?

Cheers, Harley