[Bf-funboard] clarifying view-split-resize vs view-header-collapse..

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 06:21:01 CEST 2013

On Jul 3, 2013 12:34 PM, "Harley Acheson" <harley.acheson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having one way to hide it but requiring a different way to show it again
would be confusing.

I agree. However, this is true today also and I don't (yet) see a good
solution for it.

Today, after you drag to hide, you have to use that + expander to get it
back. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to disambiguate moving the panel-split
from expanding the header. Also, that + expander sometimes ends up drawn in
odd places, like over the property panel. (easy bug to fix)  --
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54819

My assumption is that header-collapse is an infrequent operation, so aside
from your ideas about allowing multi-line headers,  to me it seems easier
to just remove it and use the right-click menu. That way panel-edge-drag
could work on either header edge. Even if the header-drag behavior stays
the same, I'd like to add a "hide header" option to the header-right-click
menu because IMO it seems more obvious to have it there. It already has the
"hide menus" option, and hiding the header is a "binary" operation
currently.

> Just adding feedback *while* dragging the header height would remove a
lot of the confusion.

I agree. The question is, what should that feedback look like?? I finally
figured out how to use a half-way decent micro-photoshop (Pixelmator), so
here is an illustration mockup.. (keep in mind I am not an artist)
Thoughts? Any other ideas?

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54839

As for the multi-row header.. As you know, I like many of your mockups, but
this one I'm not sold on. IMHO, the header looks really bad multi-line. I'd
like to explore other options, such as the ability to re-arrange and/or
hide items from the header-line. WIth this headers on shorter panels could
be customized to the task. It might also be useful for customizing the
info-panel header "extras".

You can see a visual presentation of that challenge in the VSE here...

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Jeske/MockupIdeaVideoEditing#Idea:_Preview_info_and_video_controls