[Bf-funboard] A needed node.

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 05:38:45 CEST 2013

I played around for a few minutes, and was able to get something that seems
like random-color using the current Math-node "Modulo" function. I created
one Modulo for each color channel. The first input is object.random, the
second input is a floating point number with different higest-order-bits
(aka 0.257, 0.572, 0.963) This method is conceptually similar to the OSL
shader method posted earlier. (they are mathematically different, but lets
not get buried in details)

How does it work? The modulo-function does a floating-point divide of the
first input by the second input and then outputs the **remainder**. So if
you pick divisors which are going to have different remainders, then you
get different "psudo-randomness".

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54690

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/54691

....which brings me back to the other topic.. getting good results.

In many scenarios, such as this one...

http://blendersushi.blogspot.de/2012/12/cycles-object-info-node.html

..."fully random colors" are not that great. What you want is a small-ish
set of randomly selected colors with good distribution... which you can
hand pick or adjust. Then you can pick colors which really "pop" together.
This can be setup with a constant color ramp and lots of patience (or an
addon), but it could be made much easier to do.