[Bf-funboard] Blender Pie Menus Prototype Addon

Matjaz Lamut matjaz.lamut at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 23:29:02 CET 2013

>From your screenshot it looks like you are using a very very old build of
>the menus.  A lot has changed since then.  Try a new build, from here:
>https://bitbucket.org/liquidape/blender-pie-menus/downloads
> (always grab one with newest date)

Ah yes, I was indeed using an older version. I tried with a newer one
but I can't enable it in the user preferences, the tick box simply
doesn't work and only for the pie menu addon. I tried the newest
version of the addon with Blender 2.56a, on Linux Mint and on Windows
7 and I get the same result. It appears addon related, but maybe the
cause is elsewhere. Is this a known issue?

>True & False - It true that a strength is to select options very quickly.
>Another big advantage though to having sliders and other widgets in the
>pie is mouse movement.  With this setup you can quickly get to relevent
>settings with very minimal mouse movement.  Currently, in the sculpt mode
>brushes, the 'V' key is set to bring up a pie with options that are very
>nice to access very quickly.  This pie menu greatly speeds up workflow
>because you don't have to constantly move over to the side menu to modify
>settings, minimize/maximize tabs, and scroll up and down.  It's a lot
>faster.
>Round menus have a big downside of lack of space.  You can't fit nearly as
>much text & icons in them.  They are also limiting in that layouts are not
>as dynamic and are limited to 8 total slices.  You go past that and you
>really have little to no space.  We try to limit each pie to 8 slices, but
>sometimes it just is not practical for given situations.

I always imagined pie menus to be strict and spartan 8 slices, hence
my opinion on the matter. I feel the added options, sliders and other
widgets could also reside in some other menu-shape, not just the
current radial. Thinking about it, I wonder whether there are any
other possible solutions and prior examples how other applications
solved this.
About the round menus, I should've been clearer with my question. I
was actually wondering whether there are any technical issues
preventing their implementation. The lack of space was already
apparent to me when making the mockup, but I'm still very attracted to
the idea. Perhaps some design solution could solve this to an extent.
I'm not asking about this to expect it to be implemented, but
exploring what the possibilites are.

Matjaž