[Bf-funboard] Blender Pie Menus Prototype Addon

Matjaz Lamut matjaz.lamut at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 21:34:52 CET 2013

Hello,

I see pie/radial menus as a quick way to select a tool or an option. It's
why I don't imagine much use from having too many options, such as sliders,
radio buttons or whatever crammed into them, as these widgets require the
user to aim and hit them with the mouse. The main strength of pie menus is
that you only need to move the mouse in the general direction without
accurately aiming, with choices limited to cardinal and ordinal directions.
Of course, if it's optional, then different user needs don't clash.

But I do agree with the idea where moving the mouse outside the radial menu
selects the highlighted option. Another and similar way to interact with
pie menus could be holding a key (i.e. tab), moving the mouse over one of
the options and releasing the key, thus selecting the highlighted option.

I also wonder whether it's possible to make the menus round, like this.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/Blender%20UI/Radials-mockup.png

The current menu doesn't work in certain situations where the cursor is
over an option, but another one is highlighted.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/Blender%20UI/Radial%20menu%20problem.png

Matjaž