[Bf-funboard] Copy Previous Settings

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 05:36:04 CET 2013

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Cal McGaugh <cal at cal3d.com> wrote:
> Sorry!  originally had the wrong subject! =(
>
> Hi,
>
> when installing a new Blender release, could we make the default to Copy
> Previous Settings
> instead of having the option?
>
> I don't see the benefit the way it it now.....would save some confusion and
> annoyance. =)
>
> Thanks!
> Cal
>
> ps- would it be possible to send/receive messages in Rich Text Format instead of
> plain?
> I think it would help communications to be able to format. =)

Hi Cal,

I can see this would be nice in some ways- but this is a little
complicated because its not simply using old configurations --- older
addons/startup scripts may not be compatible for eg,

Also you can't ensure recursive copy of a bunch of directories will
even succeed, so Id prefer keep it the way it is - if there is some
problem with copying the paths they will happen when the user clicks
on the button and the user will have an idea of what fails ---
otherwise the error will happen on startup and they'll just think the
new blender release is buggy.

Of course we could support this an make sure a useful message shows up
explaining that an auto-update was attempted and failed, I can see
that might be nice if but for now Id prefer not do do think kind of
operation without asking.
--
- Campbell