[Bf-funboard] Consistency and customisation questions

menuetm menuetm at stud.hfwu.de
Wed Dec 18 08:31:43 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

Teaching Blender in a High-school, we have some concern on consistency
and would like to know if they can be resolved:
  - Blendfiles should be for-and backward compatible, but as the API
isn't, using drivers seems to make the files broken. An OpenGL 2.0
software works on OpenGL 4.0 hardware and python 3.0 scripts work on
python 3.3. We can't really drop scripting as it is nearly a requirement
to work fast on the long term. Is there any plan on having the Blender
API like OpenGL or Python ?
  - Drivers apply on duplicated objects, group instances, but not on
dupliverts. It may be normal from a programmer point of view, but
disturbing from a user point of view and for really big scene where
1000s of duplicates are needed, Blender slows down with too many
objects. Would it be possible to have it to work consistently, at least
as an option ?

With Blender becoming everyday more powerful, it's becoming different
kind of users. Even in our groups, we notice some students like
sculpting, other animating, other modelling, etc... Depending on there
use, they may like to personalize their Blender to accommodate it to
their everyday use. We like the idea of being able to create your own
window/editor. Blender starts to look like an OS, with many programs in
one. Would it be possible to have custom icons to "launch" custom
addons, editors, etc... ? Maybe in a toolbar or "apps menu" ?

Thanks