[Bf-funboard] Blender Toolbar Tabs

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 8 00:27:12 CET 2013

I wanted to give feedback to this possible new addition as proposed by Campbel Barton (and team?)

The tabs seem great and I welcome them.
You mention that you might need to set the pinbutton elsewhere.
Why not just hide the icon by default and:

1)hover on a single panel area to show it.

2)on a pinned tab the pin should be visible.
An extra way would be to provide a shortcut to pin/unpin  (don't forget a tooltip in this case!)

other then that I want to press on you 2 vital areas which are in my opion crucial to make this work.

 1) Customizable tabs

Provide a default,yes but let the user ,the END-user (not only by coding!) customize it as they want:

it should be able to:
-grab an 'object tools panel' and drag and drop it to "add" category I should be able to.
-change the category name.          (CTRL+click on category name?)
-Add or Remove tabs     ->   If you want no tabs just remove them all but one.

I stress this because there will be no one way to please everyone.
Just provide a way to reset toolshelves to default easily via a shortcut (don't forget the tooltip!) or any other way and you should be foolproof.

2) Global Toolshelves

provide a UI option to have GLOBAL TOOLSHELVES. (similar to "global scenes")

 This would be a way to have the SAME toolshelf in no matter what layout you are. It should be possible to set the toolshelf once and have it present in ALL views.
 I don't discount the current way of doing which stores a hundred and 1 different toolshelves all across the layouts,which can be fine for some.
 But 'm sure plenty of people also just want to set it once and propagate it everywhere without having to think about it anymore.

These are my 2 cents. I hope I'm not out of place to post this here,and I don't want to badger campbell barton by just mailing him ,or tugging  his sleeve on irc.

kind regards