[Bf-funboard] A second Blender Disk.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 07:57:54 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with trying to include assets is that how they are made
> depends a LOT on what you intend to use them for.
>
> We already have the blender demo loop:
> http://mango.blender.org/random/call-for-review-blender-2-63-demoloop/
>
> and the Blender 2.60 regression test is linked from the download page.
>
> So this would be roughly something like clipart but for a 3D program.
>

> Just because its very arbitrary doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, but
> it does need to be managed & maintained by someone.
>
> issues I see...
> - This can too easily become a mish-mash of different peoples work.
> - Some people will submit fully textured models ready to render,
> others will submit mesh-only. --- whats the policy here??
> - Some submissions will use cycles, others GLSL materials - depending
> on the task - BGE or rendering --- do we even expect these to be
> renderable?
> - Some submissions will be rigged, animated with actions, particles,
> shape keys, multi-res.... arguably this goes outside the scope of a
> simple model library (like clip-art).
> - Some submissions will be very large files, some limit would need to be set.
> - Some submissions would be excellent models on their own - but have a
> strong artistic style which wouldn't suit being used in a model
> library.
> - There may be lots of submissions but very specific - like someone
> modeling many different trains - animals, a complete architectural
> model library --- really handy if you're an architect but also very
> specific to one area of 3D (and possibly specific to the country they
> live in).
>
> So, someone needs to manage this - further - that person needs to
> communicate with others and explain issues with submissions, not
> offend artists, explain to them what creative-commons means, ask for
> changes to be made etc.... its work!

I can't head this up. I wanted to be clear about that. I don't have
the free time. I would like to however.

I would suggest that for a starter all work be submitted to scale. I
would mean that the artist turn on metric or standard and keep their
work to scale. I would also suggest that we have the goal of photoreal
but perhaps that is not a good idea, thoughts? One of the biggest
failures of stuff on the net is that it lacks quality. I would think
that high quality be a goal. It is easir to reduce a good model than
to improve a poor one. It is also more helpful for newbies to see good
work.

One of the teachers on the teacher bf-list might be a good leader
pick, if they would do it.

Thanks.

--
Douglas E Knapp