[Bf-funboard] Sticky Scene (follow scene or keep datablock displayed)

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:53:28 CET 2012

I love the scene manager where you can add different scenes and animate different parts of same shot.

But it is also dangerous.

I had imported a file from library and it had the grouped object and animation,which was nice. But I didn't need the animation.
So I proceeded to delete all keyframes.
There was still some animation left,so I searched through my layouts  to one where the NLA editor was present. I started disabling and deleting tracks there as well.
I went back and noticed that I had not deleted them in that scene.

And then it hit me

When moving through the layouts I had accidently gone back to a previous scene ,the same scene/ object that I had imported.
I had deleted frames in that earlier scene that I still needed.

Now I could Undo it all,no problem but it strikes me as possibly dangerous behaviour,for the layout to remember which scene is being worked on.
This could be by design and might be really handy in some occasions.
But to me it is more logical that if I choose a scene,I stick with it untill I CONSCIOUSLY change it. So changing layout should imo stay in the same scene.

Some people might not like that however,I don't know.

So I propose some sort of "follow context layout " pin (like the one in properties editor) to keep a certain scene active across layout changes (ctrl+left/right) as to not trick people into changing similar scenes and discovering afterwards that a superhandy scene managment feature has cost them a lot of work.

If there is already a way in which one can work to avoid this problem,I'd be glad to hear it.
Any other solution that might be better then a pin would be welcome also.