[Bf-funboard] Reuse Background image Coordinates

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 02:14:57 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Bol Bib <bollebib at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ah yes,I almost forgot about that one,thank you for reminding me.
>
> The following might be a bit long, but bear with me,please,I'm only explaining my views of both workflows.
>

> The empty way has the obvious placing advantage,and works in al screen layouts.
>
> But:
>
> -It lacks the 'back/front' setting the background image has
> -It lacks the axis function ( it doesn't disappear automaticly when it doesn't need to be shown in a certain view)
> -Not available on the properties shelf (easier access)
> -No Movie Clip option.
>
> With the empty I can make the empty transparent,  and maybe blend it with the model with some trickery. But I always have to activate/deactivate this.  Not a handy workflow.

For back/front you can place the object behind others, then enable
XRay option to draw over the top, aside from that - your
Empty-image uses object alpha, no trickery there.

Activate/de-activate - just use a layer, or object hiding from outliner.

as for properties shelf and movie clip - your right :S

> Would it be possible then to integrate the axis and back/front option for the 'empty' image settings?

Yes, but it would make object drawing code even more convoluted and
dont think its likely the feature gets added just for image backdrops.

> Or maybe even better :
>

> Integrate the background image function with the empty image workflow.
> this would mean:
>
> 1)Creating a background image in the shelf
>
> 2)=>automaticly create an empty (at cursor) with the image.  (=empty image workflow)
>
> If you can add the missing options explained above,
> you will never have to choose one or the other.
>
> It will be an enhanced Background image tool.

Even if this is done I think we stall have issue as who stores the
data - window vs object... and how they reference eachother, and how
this is made manageable by the user in a not-annoying away.

This is possible - the bacground image could point to an object for
its placement, though it doesn't resolve the limitation that currently
background images are window data (not apart of the scene)

> I hope I'm not rambling. It seems logical to me,though there might be a reason why it is not possible.

Normally with this stuff its possible - just trade-offs with the
complexity and having to manage all these draw modes together + draw
passes (we already do for XRay - but adding an always draw-behind may
need another pass for eg).

> COULD this be possible?
>

>> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 20:47:27 +1000
>> From: ideasman42 at gmail.com
>> To: bf-funboard at blender.org
>> Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] Reuse Background image Coordinates
>>
>> No, suggest using en empty->image display option. it was added because
>> of this limitation with background images not being able to be
>> transformed and managed in the scene usefully.
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/25737480
>>
>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Empties
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Bol Bib <bollebib at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > Background image function in Blender is awesome
>> >
>> > but when I go to a new screen layout (another 3D view) I need to reload the image .
>> > That in itself is no big problem,but I have to re-enter every coordinate as well.
>> >

>> > Is there a way to when loading an image already in the scene to load the coordinates with them as well?
>> >
>> > or somehow selecting a background image stack entry  and copy/pasting it?
>> >

>> > And if not could there be?
>> >
>> > Would it be difficult to implement?

>> --
>> - Campbell