[Bf-funboard] FW: Blender new keymap progress

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 19:27:30 CET 2012

> I must be misunderstanding something.  Isn't RMB-drag already the
> tweak tool in the current Blender keymap?  So if it works for you now
> in the current keymap, why not in the new keymap?

uhm...I have LMB keyboard scheme active. I have only ever known it on LMB.

I wonder though:
Since tweak drag only works on single polygons or vertices.

maybe you could make

LMB+drag = tweak select
Shift+LMB+drag = box select
CTRL+LMB+drag = box deselect

since shift is adding to selection shift+dragging would create the box select.

Since you can't ever add other points to tweak drag,there's nothing you can do with it with modifier keys.

What do you think of this?

> I may indeed change the key/mouse combo for placing the 3d cursor, but
> that's not necessary.  RMB-drag doesn't trigger RMB-click, so tweaking
> would not move the 3d cursor.

Strange ,here it does.
or do you mean in your new keymap?

As for the cursor though ,I believe it can be on a button (C? )...
far too many times I accidentally press the RMB,needing to reset my cursor.

...can we have a cursor placement undo? XD

seriously though this would free up the RMB for other possibilities. (pie menus? Context sensitive actions? list of quicktools depending on what you click? bones,mesh,lights...etc...?)

>My apologies if I have been presumptuous.  But on this point
>particularly I was speaking from experience doing very
>mode-switching-heavy tasks in Blender.  Believe me, I think mode
>switching needs to be efficient.

Ofc. That's what I want as well. And as for discoverability maybe you can put a number in the called menu,right next to the entries, to make clear to people that they can press a number?

 > The trick is that if we do that for a frequently used function such as
> changing viewport shading, the key should probably be near the thumb.
> So perhaps V would indeed be a good choice for that.  We'll need to
> experiment.

Glad you like. Here's hoping on a new version of the keymap in the near future.

Pivot point changing could benefit from this as well...perhaps?
what will happen with proportional editing in your keymap?
This one could be used as well with numbers. Activating or deactvating proportinal editing needs to be quick (imo)

(tool and properties shortcut)
>I was considering [ and ].  Or maybe ; and '.  And really, any two
> symbol keys next to each other.  Then they can be used for side panels
> throughout all of the editors.  (N doesn't make sense in the first
> place, and T only makes sense in some of the editors.)

yeah something like that sounds fine

[ and ] even look a bit like a shelf ^^
though the 2 buttons next to the right shift are possible as well (: and = )

(from proxe)
had an idea about the 3D manipulator, S D and F could be used for the 3D
manipulator while its active, otherwise they are used for your standard
transforms, maybe its worth a try.

 I like this,it makes sense.
Though I would add: make it possible to press any combination of SDF at the same time: if you press S and D ->S and D become active
Press D and F ->D and F become active
etc...