[Bf-funboard] FW: Blender new keymap progress

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Thu Nov 22 02:30:21 CET 2012

> > Good point.  I'll figure out a way to put that in.  I'm thinking that
> > RMB-drag would be good for that.
>

> please don't do this to such an integral use heavy tool (for me at least)
> The nature of tweak+drag is that if it's your main modeling tool (without
> resorting to G all the time) you tend to use it A LOT.

I must be misunderstanding something.  Isn't RMB-drag already the
tweak tool in the current Blender keymap?  So if it works for you now
in the current keymap, why not in the new keymap?

> Besides that ,unless you plan to change the shorcut for placing the
> cursor (RMB) then EACH time you tweak+drag you replace the
> cursor. Hardly ideal for visual an practical purposes.

I may indeed change the key/mouse combo for placing the 3d cursor, but
that's not necessary.  RMB-drag doesn't trigger RMB-click, so tweaking
would not move the 3d cursor.

> Again you assume that everyone works as you do. It is better to enable
> different ways of working. I did not know about space+number though,
> I'll try that out first.

My apologies if I have been presumptuous.  But on this point
particularly I was speaking from experience doing very
mode-switching-heavy tasks in Blender.  Believe me, I think mode
switching needs to be efficient.

Space-># is the same number of key strokes as ctrl-tab, and the hand
position is even more ergonomic.  If ctrl-tab is acceptable for mode
switching, then space-># ought to be as well.  Admittedly, though, the
fact that you can hit a number to choose a menu item is not very
discoverable right now, which should be addressed.  But that's outside
the scope of this keymap project.

[Regarding viewport shading: ]
> Another way is a 'button'+ # ,perhaps? If you do plan on promoting
> the space+ number (and along with vertex choices) making more
> use of that paradigm might make sense.

That's a very good idea.  The other advantage to that is that such
keys can be promoted to (optional) pie menus as well, if/when we get
those. :-)

The trick is that if we do that for a frequently used function such as
changing viewport shading, the key should probably be near the thumb.
So perhaps V would indeed be a good choice for that.  We'll need to
experiment.

> well mnemonics aren't really a big need anymore ,if you're ditching
> G,S and R (amongst others...) It's nice to have when most of them
> work like that ,but if only a few do,it doesn't matter so much anymore.

I'm actually trying to use mnemonics whenever I reasonably can.  My
rationale for ditching gsr is that translate, rotate, and scale are so
basic that they're on the level of basic selection and viewport
navigation.  The purpose of mnemonics is to make it easier to remember
hotkeys, but translate/rotate/scale are so basic and used so
frequently throughout all of Blender that even new users are
essentially forced to commit them to muscle-memory early on (just like
basic selection and viewport navigation).  So it seemed best to place
them as ergonomically as possible instead of worrying about mnemonics.

But for other things, I plan to stick to mnemonics whenever reasonable
and possible.  Essentially, I'm doing my best to balance ergonomics
and speed-of-use with learnability and logical layout.  We're not
going to get 100% of either, but 80% of both is better than 100% of
one and 0% of the other.

> As long as Tools and properties get some logical button placement
> I don't really mind.

I was considering [ and ].  Or maybe ; and '.  And really, any two
symbol keys next to each other.  Then they can be used for side panels
throughout all of the editors.  (N doesn't make sense in the first
place, and T only makes sense in some of the editors.)

> thanks for reading and considering some of my ideas.

Thank you for providing them!  Of course, I can't please everyone with
everything, but getting feedback from people with different workflows
and preferences is really important to making this keymap good.

--Nathan