[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: Brainstormage

Nicholas Rishel rishel.nick at gmail.com
Thu May 31 21:51:33 CEST 2012

In order to preserve mnemonics, I would suggest instead:

Alt + (F,E,V) for Face, Edge, and Vertex Selection Modes
Ctrl + (F,E,V) remain Face, Edge, and Vertex Menus
Possibly rework the Extrude menu to instead be Extrude options? I'm not
fully confident in this option as I'm not sure what the code looks like.
One thing I don't like about this option though is that it breaks
consistency with Alt + (X,Y,X) "constrain to all except <selection>". I
believe this is acceptable due to how scarcely  multiple Selection Modes
are used, to my knowledge.

Given the above option it would not be possible to map search to Ctrl + F.
I think it would be best to remain where it is in this case for a couple of
reasons:
1. Search improves Blender's extendability. If Blender gains popularity,
and by extension gets more 3rd party plugin support, search will become
significantly more important and justifiably take up a location as
prominent as the Spacebar.
2. In encourages usage. As stated above, the Spacebar is a prominent
position on the keyboard and thus encourages its usage. Similar to how you
would be more tempted to press a big red button in front of you than a
small blue button across the room. This is important because...
3. Search improves discoverability of keyboard shortcuts. Since keyboard
shortcuts are prominently labeled next to items in menus, it is more
convenient for the end user to learn these shortcuts. While a user can get
this information by hovering over icons, that requires a them to perform an
additional action (wait for tooltip) as opposed to the immediacy of find
what you're searching for and already having the shortcut displayed.

Those are just a few thoughts and my justifications behind them. I hope you
find them useful. :)