[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: selection

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 16:46:11 CEST 2012

This does sound like a good proposal,I think I could live with this.
but I wonder about one which could be an issue

> LMB drag = border select
->does this mean you wouldn't be able to drag+tweak immediatly?
 when working on vertices or just in edit mode,this is something very valuable.
I understand the usefulness of G shortcut,but click-drag tweaks are just so much more quicker. So I would like this one.

The circle paint select thing is difficult to come to a solution with.
I would also like to point out that circle select kills my ability to move around in the viewport,reducing it's effectiveness,imo,
since I have to escape the circle select,move aropund,and enter circle mode again.

I would propose one of the following things

-Bind circle,border select and lasso select to the "rightclick+drag" or make a UI button for these or both:

Let me explain

I know some people don't like multiple select buttons,but we can agree that these selections are special case.
So if it's the only these on rightclick this would remove it from the C,B shortcut and closer at hand ->more useful

-you can still resize on the fly, and if you are worried it is still not clear that you can resize the circle that shows,make a tool tip in the menu bar like what blender already does for other tools or actions.
-letting Rightclick go should  finish the selection immediatly,and resumes only when you rightlick+drag again.

Circle select normally works with adding by just selecting and removing by middleclick+dragging.
I would advocate that this needs to be changed to shift and alt clicking together with the rightmouse. This would unify it with the rest.

I have no experience with the shortest path select,however,so I won't comment on that.

That would take care of circle select,but still no solution for border select.
Then I read what Jorge Rodriguez said.

I know some people will disagree with this selection, but if we're running
out of key combinations then perhaps we should think about adding buttons
to the user interface. This is actually exactly what my GSoC project will
let us do. Having a button is a great way to expose the functionality to
all users without making finger-twisting key bindings. Then, like I said
before, if users want it on the mouse they can bind it there themselves.

So,why not a UI button that alternates between Lasso,Border and circle select? Kind of like the UI button for Face/edge/vertex select,or even better ,like the "viewport shading" UI button.
This way you can select which one is used for the right mouse button. I would go further: why not double or triple select for the right mouse as well?

Option 1

1x RButton click+drag => lasso select
2x RButton click+drag => Border select
3x RButton click+drag => Circle select

OR option 2

1x RButton click =>activate lasso select on UI button

2x RButton click=>activate Border select on UI button

3x RButton click =>activate Circle select on UI button

And people can put the ones the prefer on the first click,and the others on the second or third click.

OR Option 3

Rightlick brings up a little menu in which you can select one of the three (four if you count Tweak select) methods ,like CTRL+TAB does for face/vertex/edge select

this makes the LMB (without modifiers) use whatever you have selected/is active through the RMB Menu or the UI button.

I think I would lean more to Option three,since this would limit clicking multiple times,or remembering a lot.
Selecting would effectivly be ONLY on LMB ,BUT you could select the select mode through the RMB.

What would we do with the 3D cursor,tho?
personally I think the 3D cursor could ,in the last case, be a double click of the RMB, OR maybe preferably ,a keyboard shortcut.
I sometimes use the cursor but it being on the mouse makes me set in on places it shouldn't be,because of blender's confusing RMB LMB paradigm and/or because miss-clicking is just so easy.
If B and C get freed up from the keyboard,maybe 3D cursor could be on one of those? Or maybe a whole new one? This would make the cursor only change when you truly want to,not when you miss-click..

I will say ,though that I would like the selections to be expanded through ALL blender.

I cannot see why I CAN'T ring or loop select in "weight editor",or why i CAN't lasso,loop,ring select in "UV editor" ,and lasso or circle select could be also good for curve editors and various other modes.
I don't think it's unnecessary because I have countless times wanted to make just such a selection,and wondered why I couldn't.
Unified selection would make blender more predictable,in stead of having to remember which selections do work ,and which don't,depending on the window you are in.