[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: selection

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Tue May 15 09:51:30 CEST 2012

Honestly, Blender has so many freaking selection modes that I forget which
one is which. Which is the one where you drag across the model and anything
the cursor touches becomes selected? Because I think that is the super
sayan behemoth divinity of selection modes and should be the one left click
defaults to. It's the most obvious to new users and the most
straightforward to use. I think it's circle select? Except circle select is
modal and I've already expressed my thoughts on modality :)

I'm sorry, I'll stop complaining about what I think the defaults should be
and maybe try to contribute to the conversation...

I know some people will disagree with this selection, but if we're running
out of key combinations then perhaps we should think about adding buttons
to the user interface. This is actually exactly what my GSoC project will
let us do. Having a button is a great way to expose the functionality to
all users without making finger-twisting key bindings. Then, like I said
before, if users want it on the mouse they can bind it there themselves.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com
twitter: VinoBS