[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: selection

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Mon May 14 20:06:26 CEST 2012

> * It's complicated. Selection should not be complicated.

IMO this proposal is the simplest option proposed so far.  How do you
propose to accommodate 7+ frequently used selection tools with a
single mouse button, with both 'add' and 'remove' options for the
applicable tools?  Arguably for some selection tools it's not useful
to have the full range of replace/add/remove, but I think for most of
them it is.

I'm trying to avoid hand-cramping mouse/key combos here.

> * It's modal. When something works differently in a different modes it only
> confuses.

How is this any more modal than putting everything on LMB?  I agree
that my proposal still has some modal-ness to it, but it's precisely
the same amount of modal-ness we would get when cramming every
selection tool into LMB.  The only way to avoid this being modal is to
give every unique selection tool from every mode its own unique
mouse/key combo, which unless I'm missing something seems somewhat
unfeasible.

I'm open to alternative proposals, of course.  But I would like to
avoid over-complex key combos for frequently used selection tools such
as loop and ring select, at the very least.

--Nathan