[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: selection

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Sun May 13 07:41:49 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:

> Okay guys, I have a bit of a new proposal.  So far we've been thinking
> in terms of either LMB or RMB being the "select" button.  But given
> the number of selection tools in mesh edit mode (and also some other
> modes and interfaces), perhaps it is better to fully utilize both
> mouse buttons for selections.
>
> I (tentatively) propose that we utilize LMB for selection tools that
> are more standard and globally applicable (e.g. applicable to many
> modes and interfaces).  And then we utilize RMB for selection tools
> that are more specific to the current context (e.g. applicable only to
> the current mode/interface).

This sounds even worse to me than right mouse button select.

* It's complicated. Selection should not be complicated.
* It's different. Selection should not be different, it should be
consistent everywhere.
* It's modal. When something works differently in a different modes it only
confuses.

We don't need to innovate on selection. Selection should be boring,
uninteresting, and should always work as expected. Left mouse button,
always.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com