[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: selection

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Fri May 11 23:56:41 CEST 2012

Okay guys, I have a bit of a new proposal.  So far we've been thinking
in terms of either LMB or RMB being the "select" button.  But given
the number of selection tools in mesh edit mode (and also some other
modes and interfaces), perhaps it is better to fully utilize both
mouse buttons for selections.

I (tentatively) propose that we utilize LMB for selection tools that
are more standard and globally applicable (e.g. applicable to many
modes and interfaces).  And then we utilize RMB for selection tools
that are more specific to the current context (e.g. applicable only to
the current mode/interface).

Another way to think about this is that LMB is for "common" selection
tools, and RMB is for "context-specific/activity-specific" selection
tools.

So, for example, things like click-select and border select will be on
the LMB, whereas things like loop select and ring select will be on
the RMB.

This paradigm can then also be used throughout all the
interfaces/modes in Blender that follow the select->act->confirm model
of user interaction.  We will have to figure out something different
(but hopefully not too weird) for things like paint mode which do not
follow that interaction model.

Thoughts, feedback?  Alternative proposals?

--Nathan