[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: selection

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Fri May 11 05:56:10 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:

> Mesh edit mode has several special selection tools that don't exist in
> other modes: loop select, ring select, and shortest-path select.  Do
> you use all of these a lot, or are there ones that are more important
> than others, that you use a lot more frequently?  Which one do you use
> the most?  And what about other selection tools that are less
> edit-mode specific, such as box and paint select?

I find that binding loop/ring select to double click select works real
well, and doesn't take up a modifier. Similarly, when in face mode, it
selects continuous regions. This mirrors the actions in other programs such
as word processors where double clicks select words or lines.

Should we go the same route as box select
> and paint select, and have them be modal?

My opinion is that modal is evil and should be avoided at all cost. It's a
significant usability problem and a stumbling block for new users.

What tools in particular are you trying to do?

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com
twitter: VinoBS