[Bf-funboard] Steep Parallax Mapping

Hendrik Lober hendrik.lober at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 24 12:04:50 CET 2012

this is the third time I'm calling for this but in my opinion this is a core-feature that should be added to the blender engine as soon as possible.
there already have been some attempts to implement this feature in blender, some of them pretty successful.

I'm talking about "Steep Parallax Mapping" or "Relief Mapping" whichever term is preferred. (I am sorry if there are any differences in the implementation which I'm missing here)

Displacing in Blender currently is a pain if you are attempting to add surface detail to low-poly meshes or in general meshes which contain triangle faces or wherever the poly count allocation is not even. Besides this you're increasing the render time for a not satisfying result.
Since development engines like the UDK or Unity and nearly every modern game (as far as a realistic design is attempted) already supports this feature.

personally i consider this more important than BMesh and Cycles development.

here is the project I'm mainly referring to:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?156062-Relief-Mapping