[Bf-funboard] a call for sanity when it comes to simply selecting something...

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:54:28 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM, "Peter Hähnlein" <hidarikiki at gmx.net> wrote:

>> But you got me courious about "different buttons are used to select in
>> different interfaces" - when setting LMB as select, where is RMB used as
>> a select?
>
> The outliner, for example (:
>
> The node editor does both LMB and MMB.
>
>  Inconsistency is very bad for newbies. That's why I always set MMB to 'pan view' when I teach blender. Then the 3D-view is consistent with all other windows. Although it's been much easier to switch MMB behavior before 2.5
>
>  On the other hand, I don't mind using RMB to select at all (if it's consistent within Blender). I recently was in London for one of the greatest Seminars possible and while all people drove on 'the wrong side' of the road, I think it's training my flexibility.
>
>  The querty/quertz keyboard shows how standards can be limiting.
>
> Cheers
> Pete

Good design means keeping things consistent and it is a big failure of
Blender currently.
Blender looks like a program that was written by 100 cats all going
their own way. There does not seem to be much force trying to keep it
consistent. This is good in that it lets people do what they want as
devs but it sucks as  a user.

At one point I wrote to one of the devs about something he had just
added that was the same input (a movie clip) as another section but he
did it totally differently. I suggested that me make his the same as
the other one and he basically said no. At times like this I wish I
were paying him so I could say, DO IT!! :-)

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: