[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: Brainstormage

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 09:01:14 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM, Jorge Rodriguez <jorge at lunarworkshop.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would guess that you have never learned to type with a Dvorak
>> keyboard. Speed has almost nothing to do with. It is easier to use
>> because the fingers must do much less work to type. Once you use the
>> Dvorak keyboard after using the other, you have a feeling like the
>> keyboard is psychic. It feels almost like they keyboard is typing for
>> you.
>>

> I don't want to turn this into a Dvorak pissing contest, but I actually do
> type Dvorak. The idea is to make common combinations of letters alternate
> hands, and to place the most commonly used letters on the home row, the
> most natural row for the fingers. The next most used go in the top row, as
> it's more natural to reach up there than it is to reach to the bottom row.
> You're right in that it's partly for ergonomic reasons, but I see that as
> just a side effect of it being more efficient and faster.

Ya, I know but that is not my point. My point is that we should use
the same design parameters but with the knowledge that what we are
doing is one handed typing with the right hand on the mouse. The most
often used commands should be under the fingers, followed by the keys
one row over and then one under and then the number keys way on top.

> But getting back to Blender, there's no "commonly used combinations" when
> using Blender, only shortcuts that are largely one key, sometimes multiple.
> The most important consideration for a new user is remembering the keys,
> the most important consideration for existing users is comfortableness and
> speed. I believe both of these are served by placing keys consecutively on
> the keyboard, for example WER/ASD.

S=scale and is home row. G=Grab and is also home row but with the best
finger moving to the side, this almost as good as not moving. R=
Rotate and this is a strong finger move up, also quite good. On top of
these facts, it is mnemonic and this is great for new users. Also this
is known and does not break current tutorials or manuals. I really
think we should keep it. If you were arguing for SDF, then I would
think you have a small point but still not enough to overcome the
mnemonic and already know factors.

The current GSR involves more stretching
> than WER, and VFE involves a bottom row key.

I don't agree, unless you are not talking about qwerty keyboards.

> In the end, I think we're misunderstanding each other but actually agreeing.

Likely. I am not in anyway upset about this thread.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: