[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: Brainstormage

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 00:19:10 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Jorge Rodriguez
<jorge at lunarworkshop.com> wrote:
> Two notes:
>
> * The keys aren't typed nearly as fast with Blender shortcuts as they are
> when typing freehand. They don't have to be home row.
> * GSR actually works reasonably well given they're all under the left hand
> on QWERTY. I'd prefer adjacent keys for the reasons I expressed before, but
> I think GSR works. VFE can work for the same reason, but again I think
> adjacent keys would be an improvement.
>

> --
> Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez

I would guess that you have never learned to type with a Dvorak
keyboard. Speed has almost nothing to do with. It is easier to use
because the fingers must do much less work to type. Once you use the
Dvorak keyboard after using the other, you have a feeling like the
keyboard is psychic. It feels almost like they keyboard is typing for
you.

When I spend the whole day modeling, I do NOT want to have to move my
finger all the way up the numbers row because that makes my fingers
tired. I also don't want to have to look at the keyboard to re-find
home row because that REALLY slows down my work, and being 46, the
time needed to refocus is getting out of hand too.  If I only used 1-6
then I would just move my hands up there and be done with it but I
don't, I need all the other commands also. In the end this means that
keeping the fingers on home row is the way to go and that the most
commonly used commands should be under the fingers or at least really
close to it, preferably one up to one below.

So many choices with so little prototype testing will lead to bad
answers. I think we need testers and prototypes, so that we can find
out what works best. Better to make 10 prototypes than one bad guess.

I still think sticking with GSR is best because it is known, it is on
or close to home row and it is mnemonic.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: