[Bf-funboard] clean up cluttered shelves,please?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:52:59 CEST 2012

In general I agree that we have too much clutter in the panels,

You're suggestion reminds of of the way gimp manages panels - where
you can configure them and move them around (even in new single window
mode they kept this).

The toolbar is nice in principle but it quickly gets clogged up with
many tools :S (especially with addons!)

So I do like the idea of having some kind of category, but would
prefer not to make this something the user has to configure and manage
since IMHO this is overhead when using the application.

So for me, your proposal as it stands is too configurable and I would
prefer to see some a well thought through layout, rather then having
the ability to move panels about.

Note that you could do some testing in this area with python-only
changes, if nobody else does I might have a shot one day.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Bol Bib <bollebib at hotmail.com> wrote:

> this is my own little mockup of how I think the shelves could be cleaned quickly with mostly  existing functionality.
>

> http://s16.postimage.org/cns0xjsrp/Tool_Panel_4_move.png
>

> Basicly it's a save view state function:
>
> Step1) add/remove panels to a shelve you want,save the state by naming
> it (example: display settings,general settings,or camera tracker,or
> brushes in texture mode,or texture layers addon...)
>
> Step 2) click to chose between several states (instant success!)
>

> optional step 3) move/remove panels from rightclicking or pushing a
> shorcut to bring up move dialog (second dialog popup on picture)
>

> This would be one of the few options to reduce clutter,and provide some tools for customization of the shelves,for different processes in the workflow of a project.
>

> Right now,blender saves a tool shelf state with every new 3D view
> This would limit that AND give you more power over it really quickly.
>

> extra icon toolbars and whatnot is for a later stage,imo. First fix what's there!

- Campbell