[Bf-funboard] 120718: Point Clouds Into Blender

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:14:00 CEST 2012

Hi Clint,

The closest thing you can get to point cloud import is to load a mesh
with many vertices's.

If you want extra data associated with each point - such as color,
size, density.... etc, you can add custom-data layers to the vertex
data - primitive types int/float/bytes are supported.

Its trivial to make small patches to draw vertices using these
properties - worked on a project where per-vertex color was used in
blender before.

If blender view-port can work usefully with the number of verts you
scan, its possible to make tools in blender that also manage these.

In practice though - I expect you would probably need to pre-process
the point data before pulling into blender, there are likely better
tools that have features for dealing with point clouds.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Clint Marx <clint at lmsurveys.co.za> wrote:
> Gooday Guys,
>

> Is there anyone working on the ability to import high density Point Clouds
> into Blender as in Rhino using the Pointools engine?
>

> We have huge amounts of scan data that needs to be modelled.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Clint Marx
>
> Land & Marine Surveys
>
>  <http://www.lmsurveys.co.za> www.lmsurveys.co.za