[Bf-funboard] Remove doubles issue & use for UV

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 06:02:15 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Julio Iglesias <j at zafio.com> wrote:
>> Interested to know why it only worked `Good enough`? - Did it work
>> with the example image you posted, how should it work better?
>
> I hope I didn't offend you! It is just that using unselected as target
> leaves little control in some situations where you have two nearby
> loops at the same distance and you only want to merge one. But we can
> always slide away the other loop as workaround, it doesn't hurt much.

Not offended at all :), but I like to know any problems with current solution.

Its often good to submit a blend file (rather then just an image or
text description), otherwise devs have to guess that it solves the
problem a user describes.

But I see what you are talking about now,

For the specific task of joining loops I think remove-doubles is too
generic a tool,
Though there is one change that could be made so it works better in
your case - Selected->Unselected could have an option to enforce a 1:1
match (where 2+ selected vertices never merge into one unselected
vertex).
Though as Alberto points out - this is getting closer to being a bridge tool.

So suggest the following:

* Remove doubles (Unselected) option is generic and doesn't care about
loops/topology, I prefer to keep it this way.
... When geometry mostly overlaps but you want to choose to merge one
part into another I found this quite handy.
... If you have multiple edge loops that it may merge into, you can
simply hide one of them so its not taken into account.

* Alberto's suggestion of using bridge is good and can use used as-is,
collapsing after is a bit cumbersome but OK.
... Rather then extend remove doubles it may be better to add option
to bridge without face creation (which simply joins), this could have
a `Factor` 0-1, where 0.5 merges in the center.