[Bf-funboard] Remove doubles issue & use for UV

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 02:05:03 CEST 2012

A feature which may resolve this is an option for remove doubles.

Remove doubles (Selected -> Unselected).

This way you can control that you are merging the existing verts into
other-unselected verts, and that the verts should not me merged with
each-other.

In fact this code already exists (Auto-merge editing option does this
internally), so for mesh editing its just a matter of exposing the
option in the UI.

For UV's it'd need to be an option for welding, but shouldnt be so hard to add.

Does this sound like what you're looking for?

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Julio Iglesias <j at zafio.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Say I got this:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2294713/rd1.png
>
> Now I want to merge both edge loops, so I use Remove Doubles...:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2294713/rd2.png
>
> See the issue? I expected vertices to merge at their centers, but some
> vertices merge with the outer ones, and viceversa!
>
> So it would be nice to have a "medium/center" option.
> Or maybe a special Merge Loop tool? :D
>
> (If there is another tool or script to do this, please let me know!)

> Also, it would be nice to have Remove Doubles for the UV editor.
>
> Say I got slighty different islands that need to use the same UV space:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2294713/rd4uv.png
>
> To make them fit, I need to weld each group of vertices individually,
> so RD would be a real time saver.

- Campbell