[Bf-funboard] Absolute scale in Edit mode

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 22:41:27 CEST 2012

This comment could be answered in a few ways.

Simple answer is - dont use relative offset, instead use constant offset.

But this issue isn't limited to the array modifier, you might want any
modifier to be calculated in absolute values.
Common issue is solidify modifier on a scaled object doesnt work as
users expect.

The way the modifier system works, this just isn't supported well, it
could be supported though Im not sure if its worth adding.

This could be done on a per-modifier basis - each modifier could
transform geometry into absolute values, recalculate normals, execute
the modifier, transform back and recalc normals, this could be an
option too which each modifier need not concern its self with.
While the extra transform is a bit annoying, the main reason Id prefer
not do this is it means the modifier calculation then depends on the
objects transformation.

This way you may have many animated animated objects getting their
modifiers recalculated every frame change because their transformation
changes too.

It could be done more cleverly, so for example, solidify could detect
changes in scale-only (other modifiers rotation only for rg) and only
recalculate then, but this could still fall apart with floating
precision issues with different scale scenes - with parent hierarchies
and constraints, float precision may cause the modifier to be
recalculated on every frame change even though to the eye it should
not be changing.

Even having to detect changes in transform at all I think its a bit problematic.

So IMHO this is just a limitation artists need to work with, and
trying to fix may cause more issues then it solves not to mention over
complicating the modifier stack.

We could just accept that this will cause slow downs and not try to be
clever and add as an option with a warning, but Im still not convinced
its really needed.

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM, ruth at ivimey.org <ruth at ivimey.org> wrote:
> Talking about scale reminds me that the way the array modifier currently works seems very odd to me, as the values entered seem to be relative to the size of the object in that dimension. It would be nice,  I think, if they were absolute.
>
> Sent from my HTC

- Campbell