[Bf-funboard] Split UV, Individual pivot type & Bounds constrain

Julio Iglesias j at zafio.com
Thu Aug 9 22:37:54 CEST 2012

Hi,

While editing UVs (manually packing lowpoly uvs to be precise), quite
often I find myself in the need to separate a small number of faces
from islands.

For this, the "fastest" way I found was to:

- Disable Sticky Mode
- Deselect / Select faces again (as I usually forget to deselect
before changing the sticky mode, and the change doesn't affect the
current selection)
- Separate/transform the faces
- Change again sticky mode to "shared location" to keep editing the
uvs "normally"

Maybe there is some way I missed to make it faster? but in case there
isn't, with a Split tool it would be just as in edit mode:

- Press Y (as in edit mode, to keep some consistency)
- Separate/transform the faces

Although I would personally prefer something like:

- Press ALT while transform.

But I know it would be less consistent with blender usability wise.

Individual Pivot type:

Sometimes I have to make a smaller or bigger texture than initially
planed, then current space between islands becomes too big or too
small, then I have to scale each island individually...
So an "individual" pivot type would be a big help. We already have
Invididual pivot type on Edit Mode,so it feels pretty natural to have
it also in the UV editor. Obviously, just for Island selection mode.

Island Bounds constrain

It would be also useful to have kind of an "island bound" constrain,
where user could input a value and forget to care about the space
between islands (including image bounds) for the rest of the uv
editing.
Meaning: we activate it and enter 4px as value, then whatever we do,
we won't cross any island and all will have a separation of 4px.

P.S.: I've to ask, is it possible to write these features as a python
script?, or does it require "hardcore stuff"?

Regards.