[Bf-funboard] Please add a Zoom Border zoom out

Reiner reiner.prokein at t-online.de
Wed Aug 8 19:00:54 CEST 2012

Well. Blender already has the Zoom border tool. So it`s not the question
to add it or not. It is already there. But it is incomplete. Zoom out is
missing. Thus my request.

Rectangle zoom with zoom in and out works like charm in other apps since
years. It`s a very fast and efficient way to navigate that i don`t want
to miss anymore. I barely touch normal zoom tools in my favourite
modeler anymore. Rectangle zoom is so much faster and more efficient.
You can define the zoom amount by the size of the rectangle, and capture
the area that you want to see. By that you also define to where it
zooms. No extra navigation required. This is really much quicker and
more intuitive once you tried it a few times, compared to the classical
zoom. Which needs much more mouse action for the same thing. Normal zoom
also requires a hotkey to activate it. So there is not really a
difference here.

Zooming out is simply doing the opposite of zooming in, valueswise.
Let`s say you drag the rectangle to half of the size of the screen to
zoom in. Then the screen zooms in until this half of size is full size
of the screen now. Now elt`s drag the rectangle to half of the size of
the screen to zoom out. Then the screen zooms out until it is double the
size of the rectangle. You don`t need to draw the rectangle above the
borders of the screen for that. Hope that explains it a bit.

The good thing is, when you don`t have a need for a tool then nobody
forces you to use it. Others may have a need for it though. I have :)