[Bf-funboard] combining array mod and particles.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 00:19:43 CEST 2012

Something that has been bugging me for months is that particles and
advanced array modifier (not yet done, I think) are almost the same
thing.
Having the ability to make grids of particles that have slightly
random offsets and or rotations and pick out particle objects from a
group are almost the same ideas as how I think advanced particles
could be done. I think ether these features need to be taken out of
particles or else the array stuff needs to be added. Not really sure
but one thing is clear, they are both very similar.

I rather suspect that the best way to do it would be to make an new
modifier called, "Mutable Object", or something like that. It could be
one strand or a group of strands or just a simple mesh or group of
meshes or any other object that the particle system or the array
system could use. I would even be cool if the particle system could be
told to use and array of "Mutable Objects". Or, to have an array of
particle systems.

Could also see these three being combined into one big elegant thing.
Although, I think 3 things is more KISS.

I don't want to step on the toes of the guy doing the advance array
work but I just thought I should post my idea.

Thanks!

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!