[Bf-funboard] New Keymap: selection

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:28:15 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:
>> Is that the same as gimp?
>
> I'm not sure.  I've not really done anything in the gimp that requires
> selecting things.
>
> But in general, shift="add to selection" is fairly common.  And
> ctrl="remove from selection" seems like a natural extension of that.
>
> The main downside to this idea is that .e.g in mesh edit mode there
> will be only the alt key remaining to indicate alternate selections
> methods (loop select, ring select, shortest-path select, etc.).  But
> given the numerous useful selection modes for mesh editing, I think
> it's best to find another way for users to indicate them, since there
> are more selection methods than modifier keys anyway.
>
> One possibility would be to start treating the letter keys near the
> modifier keys as modifier keys themselves.  For example, holding down
> C for circle select.
>
> --Nathan

That brings up a point, I still after quite some time of using the new
blender want b and bb back for box and circle select as do a large
number of other users I have talked to. C and B sounds nice but sucks
in practice. I would bet there are a bunch of other keys that could be
used like that, even up having to press 3 times to get to the wanted
mode.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!